Helping Clients Navigate High Consumer Debt
Thursday, October 26, 2023, at 1:00 PM EST
This webinar is free and offers one CE Credit for AFCPE and CFP® professionals (approval pending).
- Martha Borowski, Financial Empowerment Program Manager at Britepaths
- Natasha Bishop, Director of Digital Innovation & Development at Apprisen/Consumer Credit Counseling of Midwest Inc
- Sherry Hoban, Executive Director at Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project
Between the high cost of everyday items and college education, individuals and families are taking on debt to make ends meet – in fact, the average household debt was $101,915 as of the end of 2022. While managing and paying off debt is often stressful and overwhelming, CFP® professional volunteers and financial coaches can help make their pro bono clients take steps that lead to greater financial security. In this webinar, our presenters will discuss the major types of consumer debt, debt prioritization strategies, debt management options, and navigating bankruptcy.
- Understand the different types of consumer debt,
- Learn how to analyze your client’s financial situation and create a debt reduction plan,
- Learn the communication skills that will help reduce the stigma of being in debt,
- Explore the different types of debt management options, and
- Learn how to determine whether filing bankruptcy could be an option for a client, what steps need to be taken to move forward with filing, and what resources are available to help navigate the process.