See below for a number of free financial planning resources for those ready to take a proactive step in improving their personal finance lives.
Make Informed Financial Decisions
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: The CFPB looks out for consumers first and foremost. Browse by money topic to find answers to commonly-asked financial questions. Learn the basics, understand key terms, and find ways to take action when you have an issue.
- Practical Money Skills: Improve your financial future by gaining a better understanding of foundational personal finance topics including: budgeting, saving, financial institutions, credit, debt, and identity theft.
- Understand the Facts (and Myths) About Credit: Money guides, downloads, and information on topics such as buying a car, renting an apartment, and heading to college. Learn how to improve your credit score, and why you should care about credit in the first place.
Understand and Improve your Financial Health
- Get Your Free Credit Report: Federal law requires each of the three nationwide consumer credit reporting companies – Equifax, Experian and TransUnion – to give you a free credit report every 12 months if you ask for it.
- How to Read Your Credit Reports: Watch a video and read about what to look for and how to spot potential errors in your credit report.
- Learn How to Build an Emergency Savings Fund: Protect yourself by putting money aside for unplanned expenses. An emergency fund will help you recover quicker and get back on track towards your larger savings goals.
Take a Free Online Personal Finance Course
- Get Smarter about your Money: This comprehensive financial education curriculum, from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) is designed to help low- and moderate- income individuals enhance their financial skills. The course is available in multiple languages.
- GreenPath has launched a Learning Lab portal which offers “Choose your own Adventure” style coursework to help individuals improve their financial wellness. Topics covered include spending, budgeting, forbearance, and more; the portal also allows users to connect directly with a GreenPath expert for one-on-one assistance.
Talk to a Nonprofit Financial Expert
- GreenPath, Inc.: GreenPath, Inc. is a non-profit, financial wellness organization that has been empowering people to lead financially healthy lives since 1961. It offers free credit counseling and debt management solutions that are personal and tailored to each situation. Call 1-800-550-1961 to speak with a team member.
- National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC): NFCC promotes the national agenda for financially responsible behavior. Call 1-800-388-2227 to speak to a counselor near you. Para ayuda en Español llama al 1-800-682-9832.
Track your Finances
- Secure your Financial Future: Building Wealth is a personal finance education resource that presents an overview of wealth-building strategies for consumers, community leaders, teachers and students.
- CFPB’s Your Money, Your Goals toolkit, and related videos, helps practitioners have money conversations with their clients. A companion to this toolkit, the Your Money, Your Goals Military Guide, provides resources to help military families overcome the unique financial challenges they face and improve their financial well-being.
- Navigating Your Financial Roadmap Workbook PDF (all populations)
- Make a Budget PDF
- Current Spending Plan PDF
- Future Spending Plan PDF
- Family Goals PDF
- Family Balance Sheet PDF
- Bill Payment Schedule
- Debt Management Worksheet PDF
- MoneySense Complete Financial Planning Toolkit PDF
- Savings Fitness Worksheets